We are partnering with our fantastic client, LION, headquartered in the Dayton area, in search of an experienced Human Resources Manager with a focus in Operations and Manufacturing.
LION is a global leader in the provision of protective gear, uniforms, training equipment, and training centers for firefighters and first responders in all parts of the world. Headquartered in Dayton, Ohio LION is a family-owned company that dates back over 120 years. With a foundation of core beliefs and values, they are committed to keeping first responders and military personnel safer and better prepared through customized protective solutions. Company clients are in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
This role will serve as the primary onsite HR Manager for the Dayton manufacturing facility (growing to 100+ employees) and HR support for the Berlin, WI Operations (20 emps). The purpose of the role is to deliver services that assist the Dayton & Berlin operations in meeting their operational objectives and to act as an onsite extension of the Corporate Human Resources Department.
- Recruitment and on-boarding: Source, screen hourly operational roles and interview applicants. Ensure that all pre-employment paperwork and testing is completed. Perform orientation and assist with onboarding of new hires.
- Create a workplace that focuses on health, wellness, and safety: Perform safety related duties such as filling out accident forms, investigating and implementing corrective actions, serving on safety committee, maintaining OSHA log, handling workers comp, tracking safety metrics, reporting and partners with Safety Champion and other Safety Liaisons.
- Advise and consult with operations/HR leadership in analyzing, interpreting, and forecasting workforce trends for operation(s) and identify and monitor key HR metrics (vacancy and turnover rates, recruitment, engagement surveys, etc.). Anticipate HR related needs.
- Collaborate with Corporate HR Shared Services team in areas such as Compensation, Benefits, HR Services, Payroll support, Projects, Administration, etc.
- Proactively partners with leadership on operational decisions; facilitating the development of departmental systems or protocols that promote facility HR strategy (talent, engagement, compensation, safety, and health & well-being) and ensure policies and procedures are followed.
- Serve as departmental resource on human resource policies, and processes; develop, interpret, and apply HR policies and procedures.
- Administer departmental protocols and best practices, ensuring that company policies, practices meet legal/regulatory standards and follow company policies; recommend new policies or changes to existing policies where appropriate.
- Is the primary resource for supervisors for resolving workplace & HR issues
- Consult with employees and supervisors on compensation and benefits related questions and needs oversee the performance management process to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and consistency across the facility.
- Develops and facilitates training sessions on applicable topics to develop the skills of managers/ supervisors in managing the workforce.
- Involvement in business case development and project management objectives.
- Ensure HR compliance with all legal, regulatory, safety and reporting mandates.
- Verifies unemployment insurance claims and directs exceptions to appropriate manager.
- Provide guidance for employees who need to apply for leave benefits utilizing our vendor, Sunlife. Escalates questionable requests to the appropriate contact at Corporate HR.
- Be an example of the LION’s Core Beliefs in the activities that you perform.
- Maintain a positive and professional demeanor during all interactions with employees, management, and outside vendors.
- Assistance with miscellaneous projects as required
- Other duties as needed
Education & Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent HR experience in manufacturing environment
- 3-5 years relevant experience working in manufacturing facility with diverse workforce
- Experience with leveraging HRIS (UKG/Kronos a plus) platform and HR workflow/technology for HR administration
- High collaboration with Plant Managers, Supervisors and Corporate HR
- Ability to convey a positive and professional image to applicants and employees
- Is proactive and displays initiative and innovation for process improvement and enhanced employee work experience
- Ability to “think outside the box” and bring creative solutions to the table
- Strong MS Office skills; including use of Teams and Excel
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Standing, sitting, walking, bending as needed
- Hearing and vision required to be within normal ranges with or without correction
- Using proper lifting technique may be required to lift objects up to 20 lbs.
- Required to operate traditional office equipment including computers, copiers, fax machines and telephones.
- Displays ambitious, positive attitude
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships with all levels of the organization
- Flexible and adaptable to change
Relationships & Contacts:
- All employees
- Members of management
- External customers – applicants, governmental agencies
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities