The Benefits manager is an integral part of the Human Resources team, working closely with all HR team members to provide a high-level of customer service to our employees, while maintaining close attention to detail in all duties. This position develops, recommends and installs approved, new or modified plans and ensures effective administration. This position administers the workers compensation plan and process, as well as Federal and company leave policies. The Benefits manager partners with consultants, vendors or third-party administrators to survey industry and determine company’s competitive position in employee benefit and retirement plans.
· Leads planning for both existing as well as emerging health, welfare, and retirement benefit programs/strategies and assesses the effectiveness of these programs/strategies in meeting overall Company and department objectives.
· Manage and ensure regulatory compliance related to benefit and retirement plans (ACA, ERISA, OSHA, IRS, etc).
· Effectively manages vendor and broker relationships for all Company benefit plans.
· Conduct analysis of existing benefits programs to identify benefit trends, claims, and losses and work with the VP of HR to find ways to maximize effective management of all programs.
· Manage the annual benefits renewal process. Analyze proposed benefits plans, budget costs, conduct employee benefit surveys, and schedule all open enrollment meetings.
· Review monthly billings for accuracy and all group plans and process invoice reconciliations timely.
· Develops and implements appropriate and timely employee benefits and retirement communication strategies for all groups of employees. Identifies when, where and what communication or training is needed and identifies, develops and delivers it to employees and/or management.
· Oversees management of company’s retirement plan, to include audits, discrimination testing and 5500 creation and filing process.
· Administers the FMLA and Company Leave policy and processes.
· Administers the Company’s workers compensation policy and processes.
· Develops and maintains positions relevant policies and processes and ensures are kept current in the Company employee handbook.
· Manages the administration and maintenance of the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) for employee benefits, retirement programs and employee self-service.
· Supervise maintenance of enrollment and claims records for all benefits plans.
· Develops and provides strategic and analytical reporting on weekly, monthly, quarterly, or on as needed basis as requested by management.
· Directs, coaches and develops benefit team members to provide timely and effective customer service.
· Performs other duties and participates on company committees as may be relevant to the position and as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledgeable in state and federal government regulations such as PPACA, ERISA, CMS, FMLA, IRS, DOL, etc.
· Retirement plan management and/or administration experience.
· Ability to plan, assign, delegate, and direct work of assigned staff.
· Knowledge of effective employee communications methods and practices.
· Ability to develop long- and short-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments.
· Excellent analytical and research skills as demonstrated by the ability to collect, develop, assess, and blend information and recommendations from a wide variety of sources.
· Strong critical and creative thinking skills to assess and resolve problems or issues by gathering and assessing information, taking advice, and using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations or law.
· Strong project management and organizational skills to plan, prioritize, multi-task and independently execute projects/tasks within specific deadlines while maintaining flexibility.
· Ability to work under high stress levels, with frequent interruptions and with tight and often changing deadlines.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to articulate complex information and issues clearly and concisely.
· Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
· Strong HRIS experience, preferably with ADP or Ultimate Software.
· Demonstrates a strong customer service orientation.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
· Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field.
· 5-10 years’ experience in a Benefits Manager role.
· CEBS, CBP, PHR, SPHR or comparable industry certification a plus.
- Works in a professional office setting
- Uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, file cabinets, etc.
- Walking, standing, sitting, listening and talking on a wide variety and continual basi
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- May require occasionally working outside of normal office hours, including nights and weekends.
- Occasional and overnight travel may be required