The human resource generalist, working closely with the human resource director, supports HR initiatives for the corporate office and geographic work site locations. Duties are performed at the professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, recruiting, onboarding, benefits administration, records management, reporting, compliance and backup support to the payroll function. This position requires an extremely organized, continuous and perceptive person who is effective at relating to individuals at all levels within the organization. The generalist must be sensitive to and supportive of corporate needs, employee goodwill and the overall needs of the business.
Role and Responsibilities
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following list of duties.
• Facilitates the pre-hiring, hiring, orientation and onboarding processes for compliance.
• Assists with recruitment tasks such as job postings, reviewing applications or screening.
• Maintains employee and applicant documentation compliant with internal and external requirements.
• Ensures compliance with I-9 Verification, periodically conducting audits and training managers.
• Ensures benefit communications are clear and timely.
• Helps employees with their benefits and efficiently trouble shoot problems as they arise.
• Monitors eligibility for benefits and processes all enrollment, cancellation or changes.
• Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process.
• Maintains eligibility records of employees and verifies billing accuracy and process payment.
• Administers COBRA for group health plans.
• Maintains and coordinates employee recognition programs (ex: birthday, anniversary, etc.)
• Manages and monitors compliance to the Drug Free Workplace standards established by the company and in compliance to the customer guidelines.
• Monitors, tracks and reports on attendance including records related to tardiness, absences, PTO, LOA, FMLA to ensure proper documentation is maintained per internal and external
• Updates and maintains the HR system with employee status changes.
• Creates and distributes employee reports and org charts as required.
• Acts as an employee relations specialist and escalates matters as necessary.
• Ensure for proper maintenance of electronic and paper employee personnel records and files.
• Tracks all disciplinary actions and may coach managers on necessary actions if needed.
• Effectively handles Unemployment Notices and attends hearings when necessary.
• Cross-trains with and supports other functions in the HR Department as the need arises or to cover during for vacation or other absences.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• A minimum of 3 years of HR experience
• A minimum of a HS Diploma required, (2 or 4 yr. degree in a related field is preferred)
• Candidates with a PHR or CP certification is highly desirable
• HRIS experience (Experience with Vista or Keystyle is a plus)
• Strong MS Office skills needed
• Exceptional organizational and follow up skills
• Proven ability to be a flexible and dependable team player
• Effective in both verbal and written communication
• Payroll experience a plus